Tour Du Mont Blanc - Chamonix is where the adventure begins
Want to get a feel for what it would be like to run the world famous UTMB Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc? This itinerary is 170km split over 6 days of running. This trip is led by a fully qualified International Mountain Leader, offering incredible views all around the Mont Blanc massif and covering trails in three different countries.
- Day one: Welcome to Chamonix! Arrive at your hotel, put your feet up, or wander through the historic, vibrant mountain town of Chamonix. On the first evening you’ll meet up with your fellow runners and guides for the week. Our team will brief everyone on the route, weather conditions and requirements for the following days, and answer any questions.
- Day two: After breakfast and a final kit check we will head off to hit the trails. We start towards Les Houches, going up and over the Col de Voza. The views of Mont Joly en route are fabulous, then it's down to the pretty French ski-resort towns of St Gervais and Les Contamines, where we stop for the night. Expected time on trails: 8 hours. Breakfast and dinner included.
- Day three: We switfly head onwards and upwards, to the Col de Bonhomme, where the Tour du Mont Blanc meets the Tour du Beaufortain. Stopping at the Bonhomme refuge for lunch, we descend down into la Ville des Glaciers and on to our refuge for the night. Here we will eat a hearty meal and enjoy the peace and stargazing at this remote spot. Expected time on trails: 8 hours. Breakfast and dinner included.
- Day four: We begin by heading up and over the Col de la Seigne, which marks the border between France & Italy. The views of the Italian side of Mont Blanc are exceptional, as we run down into the Val Veney and onto the Italian resort of Courmayeur. Enjoy the quaint town and make the most of the amazing pizza, pasta and gelato available. Expected time on trails: 8 hours. Breakfast and dinner included.
- Day five: After a tasty Italian breakfast, we take the route out of town and up to the first of several refuges for the day, the Bertone hut. From here we scoot along an undulating path that traverses above the Val Ferret. At the end of the valley, the trail hikes up and over the Grand Col Ferret, marking the border between Italy & Switzerland. We swoop down into the typically Swiss village of La Fouly, where we stay for the night and enjoy some Swiss fare. Expected time on trails: 8 hours. Breakfast and dinner included.
- Day six: The day starts with a relatively flat section down the Swiss part of the Val Ferret, and up to the lakeside village of Champex. From here, there's a fairly steep uphill section to Bovine, followed by a lovely wooded descent to the Col de Forclaz. Another descent follows to take us to Trient, our stopping point for the day. Expected time on trails: 8 hours. Breakfast and dinner included.
- Day seven: Of course the final day starts with an ascent! The route takes us up and over the Col de Balme, marking the border between Switzerland & France. From here, the views across to Mont Blanc are stunning. We descend down over the ski area of Le Tour and traverse the valley all the way back to Chamonix. Enjoy a well-earned beer or two, or a trip to the Spa, before our final dinner of the week. Expected time on trails: 8 hours. Breakfast and dinner included.
- Day eight: Depart Chamonix at your leisure.
What is included
- Welcome reception & introductory briefing
- 6 days guided trail running around the Tour du Mont Blanc, with qualified International Mountain leader
- Tips on running techniques and nutrition in the mountains
- Two nights accommodation in the Chamonix valley, on a twin share basis
- Five nights accommodation around the Tour du Mont blanc, on a twin share/dormitory basis
- Luggage transfers and access en route, on all but 1 night
- Meals as specified in the itinerary
- New friends & amazing memories
What is not included
- Flights & transfers to/from Chamonix
- Snacks and lunch during your running days
- Drinks with meals
- Single room supplements (please note mountain refuge single supplements are not available)
- Personal insurance (required)
Travel & Logistics
Arrival: Sunday early afternoon arrival in Chamonix. Meet & greet will be in the hotel lobby bar at 6pm
Departure: Sunday morning, anytime
The closest airport to Chamonix is Geneva, Switzerland. Flights are frequent and can be booked out of several UK airports with airlines that include, EasyJet, British Airways and Swiss Air.
Transfers from Geneva to Chamonix take just over one hour. For your convenience, we’ve teamed up with Chamonix Valley Transfers to offer you a well-priced and seamless service from Geneva to Chamonix. For rates and availability, click here.
Kit Lists & Packing
If you’re scratching your head and wondering what kit you’ll need to bring, please download our Tour Du Mont Blanc Kit List below.
Feel free to get in touch if you need any advice or have any questions.