Marrakech is where the adventure starts
This itinerary is designed for runners who just love the mountains, and runners who are looking to explore the high Atlas Mountain trails at their best. This trip is led by a fully qualified Mountain Leader, with routes planned along rocky trails, through valleys and up to the summit of Mount Toubkal, offering incredible views across the Atlas Mountain range and beyond.
- Day one: Welcome to Morocco! Arrive at Menara airport, Marrakech airport and take a taxi to your Riad in Marrakech. Take some time to explore the souks and the Medina. At dinner on the first evening, you’ll meet your guides and leaders for the trip. Our team will brief everyone on the routes, weather conditions and requirements for the following days, and answer any questions. Dinner included.
- Day two: After breakfast, we will take a transfer to Imil (approx. 1 hour). We'll hit the trails to stretch out the legs, and adjust to our new climate, running across rocky farmland, over the hills and back to our accommodation in lmlil. Around 10km in total. Expected time on trails: 1-2 hours. Breakfast and dinner included.
- Day three: After a hearty breakfast, and a final kit check get ready to take on the trails for a second day. We’ll head up towards the Toubkal hut, gaining altitude and checking out the surrounding Atlas Mountains. We'll run around 21km and stay there for the night. Dinner tonight will be a rustic affair and you'll hopefully sleep like a log up this high. Expected time on trails: 5-6 hours. Breakfast and dinner included.
- Day four: This is your big mountain day! We'll head out early to summit Mount Toubkal, returning to the hut for lunch and running back down to Imlil for a well-deserved rest. Massages are available upon request. Over dinner, take time to enjoy and reflect upon your time in the hills with your new found friends. Distance 20km. Expected time on trails: 5-6 hours. Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
- Day five: After breakfast, we'll head for a final 12km run, through juniper and oak forests. Take the transfer back to your Riad in Marrakech, remembering the good times you’ve had and making plans for more to come! Why not take advantage of being in this vibrant city and add on a few days to explore further, or choose to head to Essaouira for some surfing? Expected time on trails: 2-3 hours. Breakfast and dinner included.
- Day six: Depart Marrakech at your leisure
What is included
- 4 days guided trail running in the Atlas mountains, with qualified guides and Mountain Leaders
- An adventure to the summit of Mount Toubkal (weather permitting)
- Tips on running techniques and nutrition in the mountains
- Access to a sauna, where available
- Five nights shared accommodation, including two nights in Marrakech
- Meals during your stay where noted
- New friends & amazing memories
What is not included
- Snacks during your running days
- Personal insurance (required)
Travel & Logistics
Arrival: Thursday afternoon (12 Oct) at Marrakech airport, Morocco.
Departure: Tuesday (17 Oct) from Marrakech airport, Morocco.
The closest airport is Marrakech. Flights are frequent and can be booked out of several London airports with airlines that include Easyjet and Ryanair. Taxis to central Marrakech take about 20 mins from the airport.
We have chosen some fabulous places to stay, including a stunning Riad in Marrakech and the Kasbah de Toubkal in Imlil. You will also experience one night in a rustic mountain hut, which is basic but comfortable. Meals are provided as specified and all dietary requirements happily catered for.
Kit Lists & Packing
If you’re scratching your head and wondering what kit you’ll need to bring, please download our Toubkal Kit List below.
Feel free to get in touch if you need any advice or have any questions.