Courmayeur is where the adventure starts
This itinerary is designed for established distance trail runners who are looking to explore the Italian Alps at their best. The trip is led by a fully qualified International Mountain Leader, with routes planned along rocky trails, through valleys and over mountain ridges and cols, offering incredible views across the Mont Blanc range and beyond.
- Day one: Welcome to the Alps! Arrive at Geneva airport and take your transfer to Chamonix. No we’re not joking - flying into Switzerland and transferring to France is the quickest way to access this part of Italy. You’ll spend the night in legendary Chamonix, France, the alpine capital of the world, so make the most of your time in this historic mountain town. On the first evening, you’ll meet your fellow runners and guides for the trip. Our team will brief everyone on the routes, weather conditions and requirements for the following days, and answer any questions.
- Day two: After an early breakfast and final kit check, we’ll catch a bus through the Mont-Blanc Tunnel to Courmayeur, Italy. Our route takes us through forests, between grassy pastures, over mountain trails and past crystal clear lakes, around 33km in total. We finish up in the pretty mountain town of La Thuille and feast on pizza or pasta before hitting the hay for a well-earned sleep. Insider tip - order extra pizza for your lunch tomorrow! Expected time on trails: 7-8 hours. Breakfast and dinner included.
- Day three: After a hearty breakfast at our hotel, get ready to take on the trails for a second big day. We head straight up into the hills, gaining major altitude, trot along a stunning ridge line with breathtaking views on either side, up and over the Col de la Seigne on the French border, then down to our mountain refuge in Chapieux, around 27km in total. This is one of the best refuges in the alps, with as much food as you can eat, hot showers and comfy beds. If it’s a clear night, make sure you sneak outside to gaze at the stars, with zero light pollution. Expected time on trails: 7-8 hours. Breakfast and dinner included.
- Day four: We spend the day on the famous Tour du Mont Blanc route, heading back towards Chamonix, enjoying stunning, wide-open views of Mont Blanc in all her glory. We finish in the town of Les Contamines, around 25km in total, where we'll stretch out and reward ourselves with ice cream before taking the bus back to Chamonix. From here you can chose to take a transfer straight back to the airport, spend a final night in Chamonix and fly back the following day, or stay a little longer. Expected time on trails: 6-7 hours. Breakfast included.
What is included
- Welcome reception & introductory briefing
- 3 days guided trail running in Italy & France, with qualified International Mountain leaders
- Tips on running techniques and nutrition in the mountains
- Three nights accommodation, on a shared basis
- Return transport between Chamonix & Courmayeur/Les Contamines
- Meals as specified in the itinerary
- New friends & amazing memories
What is not included
- Flights & transfers to/from Chamonix
- Snacks and lunch during your running days
- Drinks with meals
- Single room supplements (please note mountain refuge single supplements are not available)
- Any additional nights stay in Chamonix (available on request)
- Personal insurance (required)
Travel & Logistics
Arrival: early afternoon arrival in Chamonix. Meet & greet will be in the hotel lobby bar at 7pm.
Departure: From Chamonix morning onwards.
The closest airport to Chamonix is Geneva, Switzerland. Flights are frequent and can be booked out of several UK airports with airlines that include, EasyJet, British Airways and Swiss Air.
Transfers from Geneva to Chamonix take just over one hour. For your convenience, we’ve teamed up with Chamonix Valley Transfers to offer you a well-priced and seamless service from Geneva to Chamonix. For rates and availability, click here. You will also need to arrange your own transfer back from Zermatt to your desired airport. Trains are frequent and details can be sent to you.
Kit Lists & Packing
If you’re scratching your head and wondering what kit you’ll need to bring, please download our Italy Kit List below.
Feel free to get in touch if you need any advice or have any questions.
What our fellow runners say about us
"Amazing adventure and trip from the outset, with everything I could have hoped for and so, so much more. I couldn’t criticise a single element of the experience and I really didn’t want it to end! The awesome team at The Adventure Running Company have everything covered so you can have the time of your life knowing you’re in competent hands.”
Pete Faulkner - Italy
Pete Faulkner - Italy